Turner Hall

Turner Hall, 1929.

Turner Hall, 1929.

In fall 1923 Milo Clinton Treat, benefactor of Mars Hill, offered the college a donation of $50,000 to be put towards the building of a new residence hall under the condition that the college match his donation April of the next year. Seeing the importance of this gift, the college's alumni association began a campaign for the  needed funds, but in December 1923 they decided it would be quicker to appeal to the Baptist State Convention for a loan of $50,000 in full. The convention granted the loan, and two new residence halls were built: Melrose Hall, now known as Turner Hall, and the adjoining Brown Hall. Both residence halls were for men. 

It is said that Mr. Treat himself suggested the name Melrose for the residence hall funded by his donation. During the 2001-2002 calendar year, Melrose and Brown Halls underwent a complete remodeling. On October 19, 2002, Melrose was officially rededicated as Turner Hall in honor J. Platt Turner, alumnus from the class of 1940, and his wife.

Hood, Davyd Foard. Mars Hill College Historic District Nomination for National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service, 2006.
McLeod, John Angus. From These Stones: Mars Hill College, the First Hundred Years. Mars Hill: Mars Hill College, 1955. 

The original entrance to Turner Hall, 1929.

The original entrance to Turner Hall, 1929.

View of Brown and Turner Hall from the bottom of the hill.

View of Brown and Turner Hall from the bottom of the hill.