When an anonymous donor gave $250,000 to Mars Hill towards a new library building, the challenged the college to construct another building of equal cost. Myers Hall was the result of this challenge, and the new residence hall was completed in 1955 and housed 128 male students.
Myers Hall was named in honor of two students of Mars Hill who later became college trustees: Charles Burette Myers (1889-1950) and his wife, Elizabeth Holman Myers (1900-1978). Charles Myers was a Statesville businessman and college trustee from 1945 to 1949, and Elizabeth Myers was a trustee from 1950 to 1974.
Hood, Davyd Foard. Mars Hill College Historic District Nomination for National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service, 2006.