Dedicated on October 11, 1947, Huffman Hall was the first building erected on campus after the construction restrictions placed during World War II were lifted. Huffman was named in honor of Robert Obediah Huffman (1890-1978), a member of the college’s buildings and grounds committee and a successful businessman from Morganton, North Carolina. Huffman Hall was originally designed to house female students but became a men’s dormitory in 1997.
In the summer and fall of 2015, the interior of Huffman Hall was completely renovated.
Hood, Davyd Foard. Mars Hill College Historic District Nomination for National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service, 2006.