Edna Corpening Moore Hall and Mae Cline Stroup Hall
After the expansion of the Treat building as a dormitory for girls in 1921, housing for female students at Mars Hill was scarce until the respective construction of Edna Moore and Stroup Halls in the 1930s. After the completion of Melrose and Brown Hall for men, the trustees of the college on May 27th, 1937 decided to erect a new single dormitory for women on the north hillside of Bailey Street to be named in honor of Dr. Robert Lee Moore's wife, Edna Corpening Moore.
After two years of marriage to Dr. Moore, Mrs. Moore came to Mars Hill shortly after Dr. Moore became president of the college in 1897. From 1900 to 1902, she taught elementary school in a room in one of the college’s buildings. She resigned from this position to manage the girls’ dormitory, and in 1909 the college named her lady principal and treasurer. She remained at the college until her death in 1950.
The 1929 publication of the Laurel was dedicated with a tribute to Mrs. Moore:
To her whose quiet voice, unerring wisdom, and unceasing
Labor inside the Bursar’s office keep in motion the business
Machinery of the college; whose brisk footsteps are heard
Hurrying to and fro performing her duties and ministering
Where there is a need; whose loving character and unselfish
Giving inspire us to nobler Christian service - to her
Mrs. R. L. Moore, we lovingly and appreciatingly dedicate
the 1929 edition of the Laurel.
By the end of 1940 more space to house female students was needed, and the board of trustees decided to expand Moore Hall. The new wing of the building, Stroup Hall, was completed near the end of 1941 and was named in honor of trustee Mrs. Mae Cline Stroup (1891-1990) of Shelby, North Carolina.
Hood, Davyd Foard. Mars Hill College Historic District Nomination for National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service, 2006.