Dr. W. F. Robinson Memorial Infirmary
Located just off the southwestern corner of the original historic quad, the Dr. W. F. Robinson Memorial Infirmary is a rustic stone building that shares its visually appealing label with the Estella Nissen Montague Building. Funded by a 1933 donation of $2,500 from Mrs. Flora Harding Robinson, the chair of the college’s mathematics department, the infirmary building was to be a memorial for her late husband Dr. Willard Filmore Robinson (1868-1933). Dr. Robinson had served as the campus physician from 1929- to 1933 as well as a college trustee from 1898 to 1933. School historians claim that upon Mrs. Robinson’s donation of $2,500 dollars, the faculty raised an equal amount, which provided the funds needed for construction. Designed by Henry Irven Gaines; the architect who responsible for Edna Moore Stroup, Wall, Nash, and Myers, the Dr. W. F. Robinson Memorial Infirmary was completed in 1935 and continues to provide Mars Hill University with medical assistance today.
McLeod, John Angus. From These Stones: Mars Hill College, 1856-1967. North Carolina: Mars Hill College Press, 1968.
Hood, Davyd Foard. Mars Hill College Historic District Nomination for National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service, 2006.