The history of Brown Hall is the same as that of its counterpart, Turner Hall, excpet for the individual honored by its name. At the suggestion of Mrs. W. E. Logan, the trustees named their new residence hall Brown Hall in honor of Dr. A. E. Brown, the son of the first president of the insitution, William Albert Galltin Brown. Dr. A. E. Brown had also been a loyal benefactor of Mars Hill and superintendent of the Southern Baptist Mountain Mission Schools program from 1900 to 1924. Mars Hill College and President Dr. Robert Moore played a central role in the history of these mission schools.
Along with Turner Hall, Brown Hall underwent a major renovation in 2001-2002, after which it became a residence hall for the female students of Mars Hill.
Hood, Davyd Foard. Mars Hill College Historic District Nomination for National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service, 2006.
McLeod, John Angus. From These Stones: Mars Hill College, the First Hundred Years. Mars Hill: Mars Hill College, 1955.